Saturday, June 15, 2013

Movie Review: Breaking Dawn Part I

            Towards the end of 2011, my sister convinced me to see a movie in a franchise I had never heard before. As luck would have it, I managed to get a seat on opening night. The movie started with a beautiful white wedding between a mortal and her vampire beau. Their exotic honeymoon was cut short due to an unexpected complication: the mortal got pregnant. As the fetus grew, her new husband and his family speculated and prepared for the worst.  Labor pains put the mortal in grave danger. By the time the delivery was over, so was her life. As you might have already guessed, I am talking about the movie, Breaking Dawn: Part I, starring Kristen Stewart as the mortal, Belle, and Robert Pattinson as the vampire, Edward Cullen.
           The movie was engaging because the sets were creative and dynamic. But in the end, it was an unlikely story about a love triangle between a mortal, a vampire, and a werewolf. Two out of the three main characters were fictitious in nature. And yet, people of all ages (albeit mostly female) had camped out for a chance to purchase a ticket for opening night. I mean, I have heard of such phenomena, but I had never seen it until now. I think that is one of the reasons why I liked the movie so much.
           I was curious. How could so many intelligent people (again, mostly female) be so carried away with this film series? To find out, I went to a thrift store a picked up a copy of the first installment, Twilight. I read it, and then went back and read parts of it again. But in all my searching, I couldn’t find anything particularly extraordinary about the story. Remember the ferver with which I saw the audience that surrounded me in the movie theater, I picked up the second installment and read it all the way through. It took me until the end of the third book, Aclipse, to finally come to the conclusion that the very ordinariness of the storyline is what has captured the imagination of millions. And the fact that the main characters were in their teens didn’t escape me. Shortly after the first book was released, a new genre had evolved: Young Adult Fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment