Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The making of...


As many of you know, I am in the process of writing a fantasy adventure novel. I was inspired to reconsider the idea after reading the second book in the Twilight Saga series (New Moon) last December. After all, I thought, if Stephanie Meyers could write a book in the first person, using simple language and underdeveloped characters, then, well, so can I. Only, it won’t be so simple (though I WILL try) and the characters will be more developed. So began a journey that has taken me into the highest mountains on earth!

The settings came to me visually, on the wide stage of my imagination. I saw snow-capped mountains covered in thick fog…dark-skinned people dressed in bright jackets and muscular legs. I saw dangerous mountain paths and steep cliffsides. Well…you get the idea J. Next, I looked for pictures that resembled my imaginings. Funny enough, I had already drawn a couple during the beginning of my hobby to DRAW. There, on the first page, stood a picture of Mt. Everest. I don’t know why I drew it, what inspired me at the time, but there it was, staring right back at me. The next picture that caught my eye (a drawing that I had done) was the basilica of the Zurich University (yes, in Switzerland). It was so….telling. After taking a little while to let my ideas percolate, I started making lists. Naturally, I started listing names….names of possible characters, names of exotic places, names of enchanted objects…. And then I discovered the Lord of the Rings Trilogy….

LORT had so many of the things that I wanted to incorporate into my story-the white mountains, the gallant knights, the judicious kings, the evil lord-and so I became discouraged. So I percolated a little more. Finally, I decided to try again. Thus began my journey to creating a kingdom of effervescent proportions! Now how was I going to relate this ancient kingdom to the modern world? After all, my target audience (young adult) needed at least one foot in reality! Hmmm…that was something to think about….

No comments:

Post a Comment